ⓘ Washington College Academy
Washington College Academy was a private Presbyterian-affiliated educational institution located in Washington College, Limestone, Tennessee. Founded in 1780 by Doctor of Divinity Samuel Doak, the Academy for many years offered accredited college, junior college and college preparatory instruction to day and boarding students, but financial difficulties in the 2000s forced the school to restructure its offerings and focus instead on continuing education courses for adults.
Now, the Washington College Academy School for Arts & Crafts offers a variety of classes in metalsmithing, glass, clay, fiber, and mixed media. The Academy also hosts a General Educational Development GED program to assist area residents in meeting the high school-level academic skills necessary for GED certification. The Academy also offers baseball and softball facilities.
The first college established in Tennessee, Washington College was originally chartered as Martin Academy, when the state was still part of North Carolina. It was rechartered by the failed State of Franklin in 1785, and again by the Southwest Territory in 1795, when its name was changed to Washington College. The school prospered throughout the first half of the 19th century under the leadership of Doak and his grandson, Archibald Alexander Doak, and many of its graduates went on to become influential figures in regional politics. Ebenezer Baird was the colleges president from 1850 until 1852.
Occupying Union and Confederate armies left its campus in ruins after the Civil War, but the college reorganized and gradually expanded during the 1870s and 1880s. The school had transitioned to a junior college by the early 20th century, and abandoned its college curriculum to focus on secondary education in the 1920s.
Most of the extant buildings on the academys campus were constructed between 1842 and 1973. Nearly a dozen of these buildings, along with the adjacent Salem Presbyterian Church, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Washington College Historic District.
Samuel Doak, described by historian J. G. M. Ramsey as the "apostle of learning and religion in the west," arrived in the upper Tennessee Valley in 1777 as a Presbyterian circuit rider, and moved to what is now rural western Washington County shortly afterward. In 1780, he established the Salem Church congregation and an associated school, both of which met in a log building located on a lot roughy adjacent to what is now Harris Hall. In 1783, the North Carolina Assembly modern Tennessee was still part of North Carolina at the time chartered the school as "Martin Academy," named for North Carolina Governor Alexander Martin. Two years later, the school received a charter from the legislature of the "State of Franklin" - an ultimately unsuccessful attempt by North Carolinas trans-mountain settlers to form a new state. In 1795, the Southwest Territory, a federal territory that consisted of what is now Tennessee, rechartered the school as "Washington College." The legislation chartering the school was introduced by John Sevier, then a member of the territorial council, and its early trustees included several influential figures in early Tennessee history, among them Sevier, Doak, John Tipton, William Cocke, William C. C. Claiborne, Archibald Roane, John Rhea, and Gideon Blackburn.
Samuel Doak was succeeded as president of Washington College by his son, John W. Doak 1818–1820, and later by his grandson, Archibald Alexander Doak 1840–1850, 1853–1856. The school taught grade school, preparatory, and college-level courses, and began awarding Doctor of Divinity degrees in 1817. Girls likely attended the schools lower grades during its early years. The school experienced a period of prosperity in the 1840s, when the iconic red brick Harris Hall was completed, but financial struggles eventually forced Archibald Doaks resignation in 1856. The schools preparatory department became coeducational that same year.
During the Civil War, the school was forced to close, and its campus was occupied at times by both Confederate and Union troops. The first floor of Harris Hall was used as a stable, whereas the top floors were used for barracks. The library was destroyed, and the campus was largely left in ruins. Two local women, Eva and Addy Telford, used the campus as a school for women in the years following the war. In 1868, the school was reorganized as Washington Female Academy with William B. Rankin as president, but it was unable to obtain a charter. It afterward returned to its coeducational status, and in subsequent years repaired and expanded its campus.
By the 1880s, Washington College was again prospering under the presidency of J.W.C. Willoughby, reporting an enrollment of 148 in 1884. It began awarding Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, and Bachelor of Instruction degrees during this period. The YMCA and YWCA established organizations on campus, and a school newspaper, the Progressive Educator later known as the Pioneer Educator was launched in 1886. The 32-year presidency of James T. Cooter, which began in 1891, saw the school transition to a junior college. An industrial department was established, and a 135-acre 55 ha farm was purchased in 1900. The school was one of the first in the area to obtain a telephone connection and electricity.
In 1908, the Presbyterian Church attempted to merge Washington College with nearby Tusculum College. Under the merger, Washington College would have become the new schools preparatory department. Washingtons trustees sued to block the merger, and the Tennessee Supreme Court ruled in their favor, but the schools post-secondary department never fully recovered, and its collegiate curriculum was discontinued in 1923.
Washington College was forced to close during World War I, and afterward began seeking public funding. It started offering agricultural education in 1919 in order to obtain federal Smith-Hughes Act funds, and shortly afterward began teaching public school students as part of an agreement with Washington County. The school continued to receive substantial donations from benefactors such as Mary Copley Thaw and Mary Boyce Temple during the 1920s, but funding began to dry up during the Great Depression, forcing layoffs and salary cuts, and a reduction in work-study students.
During the years following World War II, the school experienced a resurgence under the presidency of Henry Jablonski. Several new buildings were constructed in the late 1950s, 1960s, and early 1970s, some of which were made possible by a large gift from the Harris family in 1966. With the completion of David Crockett High School in nearby Jonesborough in 1971, Washington College discontinued its public school program, and returned to its role as a private preparatory school for grades 7 through 12. The school severed its ties with the Presbyterian Church in 1972, and phased out its agricultural program in the late 1970s. The school still operates a High School equivalency program HiSet and offers classes on Art, History, and Music for adults.
2. Notable alumni
This section includes both college and high school alumni.
- John Rankin, educator and abolitionist
- Robert A. Young 1824-1902, Methodist minister.
- Abraham McClellan, U.S. congressman
- Oliver Perry Temple, attorney, judge and historian
- Tilly Walker, Major League Baseball player
- John Blair, U.S. congressman
- Landon Carter Haynes, Confederate senator
- Samuel P. Carter, U.S. Navy Rear Admiral and U.S. Union Army Brevet Major General
- J. G. M. Ramsey, historian
- Alexander O. Anderson, U.S. senator
- Nathaniel Green Taylor, U.S. congressman
- Filip Videnov, professional basketball player
- Robert L. Caruthers, U.S. congressman and Confederate Governor-elect of Tennessee
- Zebulon Vance, Governor of North Carolina
- Frank Little, opera tenor
- William Hugh Young, Confederate Army general
- into two competing academies with Jefferson College located in Canonsburg and Washington College located in Washington The two colleges merged in 1865 to
- competing academies and colleges with Canonsburg Academy later Jefferson College located in Canonsburg and Washington Academy later Washington College in
- medical school scam Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri Lake Washington High School, Kirkland, Washington Washington College Academy Limestone, Tennessee
- Washington College is an unincorporated community in Washington County, Tennessee near Limestone. Washington College Academy and Salem Presbyterian Church
- school s name to Washington Academy in 1813 it was chartered as Washington College An 8 - foot - tall 2.4 m statue of George Washington carved by Matthew
- of Washington Pennsylvania, and Washington Jefferson College spans over two centuries, dating to the founding of both the city and the college in the
- Sciences Health Science Public Health and University College As of fall 2014, Eastern Washington University enrolled over 13, 000 graduate and undergraduate
- Wentworth Military Academy and College was a private two - year military college and high school in Lexington, Missouri. Wentworth was one of five military
- Presbyterian Church is a Presbyterian church at 147 Washington College Road at the Washington College Academy in Tennessee. It was started in 1894 and was added
- 19194 N 96.05917 W 39.19194 - 96.05917 St. Mary s Academy College Saint Mary s Academy and College is a religious school of the Society of St. Pius
- Joseph Smith taught classical studies in his college called The Study at Buffalo. Washington Academy was chartered by the Pennsylvania General Assembly
- Forge Military Academy and College VFMAC is a private college preparatory boarding school grades 7 12 and military junior college in Wayne, Pennsylvania
- It later became Liberty Hall Academy 1782 Washington Academy 1798 Washington College 1813 and finally Washington and Lee University 1871 The
- The College and Academy of Philadelphia was a secondary school and later university located in Philadelphia. It was founded in 1749 by a group of local
- Washington Jefferson College in Washington Pennsylvania, United States. Built in 1793, it is the only surviving building from Washington Academy
- Washington Academy offers GCSEs and vocational courses as programmes of study for pupils. Most graduating students go on to attend Sunderland College
- College Park Academy commonly CPA is a charter school middle and high school located in Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA. The school is a joint collaboration
- The American University Washington College of Law WCL is the law school of American University. It is located on the western side of Tenley Circle in
- 13, 2019. Gonzaga College High School Washington DC Team Detail www.gonzaga.org. Retrieved July 13, 2019. Nats Youth Academy DC Grays Retrieved
- Central College is a public college in Seattle, Washington It is one of the three colleges that comprise the Seattle Colleges District. The college has a
- don t show military academies as threats or punishment e.g. Damien: Omen II and The Presidio A college - level military academy is an institute of higher
- Oberlin Academy Preparatory School, also known as Oberlin Academy but originally Oberlin Institute and then Preparatory Department of Oberlin College was
- 38.73146 N 77.101954 W 38.73146 - 77.101954 The Islamic Saudi Academy of Washington Arabic: الاكاديمية الاسلامية السعودية was an International Baccalaureate
- George Washington Carver Military Academy formerly known as George Washington Carver Area High School is a public 4 year military high school located
- 2011, Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire signed Substitute Senate Bill 5664 to change the name of Lake Washington Technical College to Lake Washington Institute
- for boys, Anderson Academy Washington College was built in 1871 on high ground above Washington Corners by the people of Washington Township as a scientific
- Mickey Leland College Preparatory Academy for Young Men MLCPA originally Young Men s College Preparatory Academy at E. O. Smith YMCPA is a university
- Gonzaga College High School, originally Washington Seminary, is a Jesuit high school for boys located in Washington D.C. It is named in honor of St.
- Canonsburg Academy Two other literary societies were founded at Washington College the Union Literary Society in 1809 and the Washington Literary Society
- which he received a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. In 1989, Washington won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →