ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 277



                                               

Fort McIntosh (Georgia)

Fort McIntosh is an American military fortification from the American Revolution located near the Satilla River in Brantley County, Georgia, near the present site of the intersection of U.S. Route 82 and Georgia State Route 110 near the town of A ...

                                               

Fort Perry

Fort Perry is the site of a historic stockade fort defended by block houses in the area of Box Springs, Georgia. It was built in 1813 along the Old Federal Road. The site is commemorated by a historical marker located nearby on Fort Perry Road. I ...

                                               

Fort Stewart

Fort Stewart is a census-designated place and United States Army post in the U.S. state of Georgia. It lies primarily in Liberty and Bryan counties, but also extends into smaller portions of Evans, Long and Tattnall counties. The population was 1 ...

                                               

Fort at Lahaina

                                               

Lahaina Fort

                                               

Fort Sherman (Idaho)

Fort Sherman was located in the United States at Coeur dAlene, Idaho. General William T. Sherman had recommended the site in north Idaho after an inspection tour in 1877. It began as a camp the next year, became Fort Coeur dAlene in 1879, and the ...

                                               

Fort Lamotte

Fort Lamotte was a fort created between 1810 and 1812 by Baptists near Palestine, Illinois. It was the site of the Battle of Africa Point in the War of 1812, one of few battles of the war in the Illinois Territory. During the War of 1812 there we ...

                                               

Huffs Fort

Huffs fort was established around 1811 or 1812 northeast of Fort Vallonia in present-day Jackson County, Indiana, United States. Huffs fort was established for the protection of early settlers land near the east fork of the White River. It was sa ...

                                               

Ketchams Fort

Ketchams fort was established around 1811 or 1812 on John Ketchams land near the east fork of the White River for the protection of early settlers of what is now the township of Brownstown. It was said not to have the fortifications of Vallonia b ...

                                               

Aubrys Post

On March 7, 1862, Confederate guerrillas under William C. Quantrill raided the small Kansas town of Aubry, southwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and just west of the Kansas-Missouri border. Three residents were killed in the raid and much property ...

                                               

Barnesvilles Post

Barnesvilles Post located near Barnesville, in Bourbon County, Kansas, was the site of military camps for stretches of time during the American Civil War. The first mention of a camp there came from a report written on September 4, 1861, by Sen. ...

                                               

Fort Belmont

Fort Belmont, in southern Woodson County, Kansas, was built about 1860 near the town of Belmont. It was to protect the settlers there from attacks by Border Ruffians and Indians. The fort consisted of three or four officer cabins, a redoubt about ...

                                               

Fort Brooks

Fort Brooks, in northwest Clay County, Kansas, was located three miles west of Clifton, Kansas. Built on the north bank of the Republican River in August or September 1864, it was named for George D. Brooks. Brooks, an ensign in the Shirley Count ...

                                               

Camp Ben Butler

In early May 1863 a temporary camp, Camp Hooker, was established at the site of what later became Baxter Springs, Kansas. This area was located in what was known as the Cherokee Strip. In late May while the camp commander, Col. James M. Williams, ...

                                               

Camp Defiance

Camp Defiance was a military encampment in eastern Kansas, U.S., during 1861–1862. In December 1861, the town of Potosi, Kansas, along the Kansas-Missouri border, was attacked by Confederate guerrillas. Very soon Col. James Montgomery stationed t ...

                                               

Camp Drywood

Camp Drywood was established by the US Army in fall 1862. It was located about fifteen miles south of Fort Scott, Kansas. It was intended to serve as a military post guarding against Confederate guerrillas in the area. However, it ended up being ...

                                               

Camp Hunter

Camp Hunter was established in June 1862 or a bit earlier at what is now Baxter Springs, Kansas. It was established by Union troops. At the same time Indian Home Guard regiments established a camp nearby on Little Five Mile Creek. The white soldi ...

                                               

Cantonment Martin

Cantonment Martin was intended to be a temporary Army camp to provide support for an engineering expedition led by Stephen H. Long. Possibly the first troops marched from St. Louis, Missouri, to what is now the western border of Missouri. The tro ...

                                               

Chapmans Dugout

In the early 1860s Stephen B. Chapman and his family lived on a farm near the town of Black Jack, south of Lawrence, Kansas. In summer 1863 Bushwhackers began traveling through the area, terrorizing the citizens. After William C. Quantrills Lawre ...

                                               

Fort Ellsworth (Kansas)

In 1864 Gen. Samuel R. Curtis established a military camp at the Fort Riley-Fort Larned Road crossing of the Smokey Hill River in what is now Ellsworth County, Kans. The camp occupied a site where a stage station and trading ranch also operated. ...

                                               

Fort Buchanan, Kansas

Fort Buchanan was built in 1857 as a combination town and fort by Capt. Richard Mobley, who was sympathetic to the cause to see Kansas Territory admitted to the Union as a slave state. Fort Buchanan was located about 1 mile southwest of Minneapol ...

                                               

Fort Plymouth

The construction of Fort Plymouth began in summer 1856. The site was settled by a group of free-state partisans who entered Brown County from Nebraska Territory. This site was also meant to become a free-state town, but possibly only one house wa ...

                                               

Fort Saunders

Fort Saunders, 4 miles southeast of Clinton, Kansas, and 12 miles southwest of Lawrence, Kansas, was owned by James D. Saunders, a militia captain. What little was left of Clinton disappeared during construction of the Clinton Lake in the 1960s; ...

                                               

Fort Titus

Fort Titus was the fortress residence of pro-slavery advocate Henry T. Titus, built in Kansas in April 1856, during a period when forces aligned with Titus came into conflict with free-state settlers. The wider conflict, which emerged from a poli ...

                                               

Fort Wakarusa

Little is known about Fort Wakarusa, which was built by free-state partisans between 1855 and 1857. Historian William E. Connelley drew a map in the 1920s that located the fort on the north side of the Wakarusa River, at Blue Jackets Crossing. Th ...

                                               

Franklins Fort

Franklins Fort was a small fortification that had been erected in Franklin, Douglas County, Kansas by pro-slavery settlers. During the "Bleeding Kansas" period, the fort was the site of two minor battles between pro- and anti-slavery factions.

                                               

Indian Home Guard Camp (Baxter Springs)

In June 1862 two Union camps were established in the vicinity of what is today Baxter Springs, Kansas. One was Camp Hunter, located in what is now the center of the town. The other was the Indian Home Guard Camp, located at Little Five Mile Creek ...

                                               

Iolas fort

Iola, Kansas, was founded in 1859 and soon after a two-story stone building was built on the southwest corner of Jefferson and Madison streets. Davis Parsons, one of the first town settlers, built this building, which was to serve as a rallying p ...

                                               

Jim Lanes Fort

Jim Lanes Fort, sometimes called Fort Jim Lane, was built in August 1856 in Holton, Kansas. It was named to honor free-state leader James H. Lane, who helped organize the settlement of several towns in northeast Kansas Territory, including Holton ...

                                               

Judge Wakefields house

John Allen Wakefield and his family was one of the first settlers to come to the newly created Kansas Territory. Free soilers, they arrived in western Douglas County, Kansas, in July 1854, one month after the territory was opened to settlement. T ...

                                               

Kansas forts and posts

Kansas had a few military forts prior to 1854, when it became a territory. The French established Fort de Cavagnial near what is now Fort Leavenworth. This was the first military post in what is now Kansas. It operated from 1744 to 1764. The Unit ...

                                               

Fort Lane (Kansas)

Fort Lane, on the crest of Mount Oread, then southwest of Lawrence, Kansas, was built by the residents of Lawrence in 1856 to serve as a lookout post to observe groups of men desiring to attack Lawrence. Lawrence was a free-state community built ...

                                               

Lawrence armory (Lawrence, Kansas)

The first armory in Lawrence was located on the 600 block of Massachusetts Street in the downtown. The exact coordinates of the armory are today unknown, but they are approximately at 38.9721°N 95.2359°W  / 38.9721; -95.2359. This armory was pro ...

                                               

Lawrence blockhouses

The Lawrence blockhouses were a series of blockhouses built in the spring of 1864 in Lawrence, Kansas, to provide defensive structures in case of attack by Confederate guerrillas. On August 21, 1863, Lawrence had been attacked by 400 guerrillas a ...

                                               

LeRoys post

LeRoys post was established September 12, 1861, by U.S. Senator James H. Lane, when Fort Scott was threatened by advancing Confederate troops. LeRoy is a town in eastern Kansas. The post was one of many Union posts established in eastern Kansas t ...

                                               

Fort Lincoln (Kansas)

Fort Lincoln was established about August 24, 1861, by United States Senator James Lane. Earlier in August, Lane had reestablished Fort Scott as a military post. Soon Confederate troops under Maj. Gen. Sterling Price threatened to overrun the new ...

                                               

Livingstons Hideout

Livingstons Hideout was most likely the only permanent Confederate military camp inside Kansas during the Civil War. It was in the very corner of southeast Kansas, in the very corner of Cherokee County, Kansas. It was about 2 miles north of the b ...

                                               

Fort Montgomery (Eureka)

Fort Montgomery in the town of Eureka, Kansas was built in summer 1861 by local citizens for protection against Indian attacks and Confederate guerrilla forces. An earlier structure also named Fort Montgomery had been built in Linn County, Kansas ...

                                               

Fort Montgomery (Linn County)

Fort Montgomery was a fortress home constructed of logs by James Montgomery in 1855 five miles west of Mound City, Kansas, in Linn County. Montgomery was a free-state leader in Kansas Territory. This was after southerners burned his previous cabi ...

                                               

Mound Citys post

Mound Citys post was established by 1860 in Mound City, Kansas. In August 1861 U.S. Senator James H. Lane reported to the commander of Fort Leavenworth that the post was to be fortified. In fact, Mound Citys post became one of the important posts ...

                                               

Mount Oread Civil War posts

Lawrence, Kansas was not well defended in the early part of the Civil War. That ended with William Quantrills devastating guerrilla raid August 21, 1863. By early 1864 Union soldiers were permanently camped on the top and slopes of Mount Oread, t ...

                                               

New Georgias fort

New Georgias Fort was located in Miami County, Kansas, southeast of Osawatomie. During the partisan warfare in Kansas Territory in 1856, a colony of Southerners, possibly all Georgians, established New Georgia. This colony was located on the Mari ...

                                               

Nickell Memorial Armory

The Nickell Memorial Armory is a Kansas National Guard armory, located at 2722 SW Topeka Blvd., Topeka, Kansas 66611. It is bounded on the north by 27th Street, on the east by Kansas Avenue and on the west by Topeka Avenue. On the south is a publ ...

                                               

Osage Missions post

Osage Missions post was located at the Osage Catholic Mission, which was established in 1847. Eventually, Osage Mission became the town of St. Paul, Kansas, inside what would become Neosho County, Kansas. The Mission was located about 35 miles no ...

                                               

Fort Row

Fort Row, located on the south bank of the Verdigris River and east of the present town of Coyville, Kansas, was built in the fall of 1861, probably in October. It was built by the local mounted militia for their use. However, the fort became ass ...

                                               

Fort Simple

Fort Simple was an American fort built in Topeka, Kansas, as a result of Maj. Gen. Sterling Prices Missouri Raid in the late summer and fall of 1864. Topeka had become the permanent capital of the State of Kansas in 1861, but no fortifications ha ...

                                               

Fort Solomon

In early 1864 settlers in Ottawa County, Kansas, began building Fort Solomon and completed it by the spring or summer. This structure replaced the much smaller dugout owned by the Chapman family and used as a refuge in times of trouble. The Chapm ...

                                               

Stewarts Fort

Rev. John E. Stewart, a free stater, moved about four miles southeast of Lawrence, Kansas, about 1859. Stewart made a land claim on the south side of the Wakarusa River, at a horseshoe bend. Here he built a fortress home, which became known as St ...

                                               

Fort Wallace

Fort Wallace was a US Cavalry fort built in Wallace County, Kansas to help defend settlers against Cheyenne and Sioux raids. All that remains today is the cemetery, but for a period of over a decade Fort Wallace was one of the most important mili ...

                                               

Washington Company House

In spring 1860 the Washington Town Company laid out the town site of Washington, Kansas. A log cabin was built as the headquarters of the town company and this became known as the Washington Company House. It probably stood on the site of the cur ...

Encyclopedic dictionary

Translation
Free and no ads
no need to download or install

Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!

online intellectual game →